3.23.2008

BOP TRIBAL: musician 1: satomi

I am going to introduce my quintet band, BOP TRIBAL.

Satomi Yarimizo (piano, leader)
I started taking piano and organ lessons in Japan at age three. During my teen years, I played drums, guitar as well as saxophone. I really loved playing music. At age 13. I started playing simple jazz/fusion by ear. I already loved jazz very much and listen the same tapes ( because I did not have many) over and over. :) During middle and high schools I did a lot of ensemble and arrangement work for piano and keyboard.

My former job at a computer company fortunately brought me to Hawaii in 2000, and I worked a couple of years with the company ( and we made a computer-animated feature film!). On March, 2004 I happened to sit-in to play piano on my friend's jazz show at the Rafters and then people started supporting me and and I started to seriously teach myself jazz theory and to sit in at local jazz venues in order to become a full-time musician, which is my real passion. I really appreciate that many people and friends keep supporting and helping me since then.

In 2005, a friend of mine and one of the greatest trumpet player, Tiger Okoshi recommended me to come to his school, so I attended the intensive summer course at the Berklee College of Music in Boston to further enrich my understanding of jazz. I started gigging soon after I returned to Honolulu, and now regularly perform jazz 4 to 5 nights a week at assorted venues with my duo, trio, quartet and quintet featuring various respected local musicians.

I am so happy that I can play music everyday. Music gives me a chance to meet lots of nice people.

No comments: